When you browse specialty stores, your heart is likely to be racing at the sight of all of these wonderful clothes for toddlers. Of course, you want the best for your child and look forward to dressing your little angel. On the other hand, know that everything that is on offer is not necessarily ideal. So how do you choose?
Think About Comfort
The first thing that you should pay attention to when buying cheap toddler clothes is obviously his comfort. Baby’s clothes should be soft so their sensitive skin can breathe well. Natural materials are obviously recommended, in particular cotton (but also linen). Avoid wool, which often causes irritation, as well as synthetic materials.
Also, try to avoid all clothing whose buttons, laces, elastics or zippers are in direct contact with your baby’s skin.
Plus, although little dresses or sets are lovely, they’re not always comfortable. Except on special occasions, your baby will never be as comfortable as wearing a good old onesie.
Finally, be sure to choose laundry that is neither tight nor too stiff, and as soon as something seems too small, give it away or put it away for your next child.
In the first months of life, baby will need to be changed and washed several times a day. So, you have to make sure that everything is done as easily as possible.
Choose pants and pyjamas with snaps between the legs, so you don’t have to completely undress your baby each time the diaper changes.
Some children can’t stand sticking their head through the hole in the sweater, if yours does, choose clothes that tie in front or behind. At the very least, make sure the opening is “stretchy” and made of a fabric that’s particularly soft on the face.
Baby clothes should be easy to put on and take off
They must also be easy to maintain, because baby gets dirty constantly: saliva, milk, etc. Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for washing laundry (temperature, cycle, drying, etc.).
Avoid clothing with buttons that can come off, potentially dangerous if a child pulls on them and decides to put it in their mouths.
Children who move around (on all fours) should wear “one-piece” pieces like overalls, so as not to constantly expose their little tummies to the fresh air.
The Indispensable for the New-Born
- You will need soft, warm underwear and comfortable little pyjamas.
- Do not forget the small hats and slippers (baby cools quickly) as well as mittens to avoid scratches on the face.
- Depending on the season, you will also need to acquire suitable outdoor cheap baby clothes.
- Do not buy too many very small clothes (size 0 or 1 month) because your child will grow very quickly and their clothes will not fit after about 3 weeks.
- Moreover, it can be interesting to keep the labels on the clothes (and the invoices) until the moment when you dress baby in a new garment, since it is quite possible that the little pyjamas on which you had fallen … too small!
- You will also need a lot of bibs: this will prevent you from having to change your entire baby 6 times a day!